Internship position at FairFishing Autumn 2018
FairFishing is a small Danish-Somali NGO that has been working to support and develop the small-scale, coastal fishery in Berbera, Somaliland, since 2013. In practical terms this means building up necessary physical infrastructure for a sustainable artisanal fishery sector, as well as support local fishers with technical- and organisational training to strengthen the human capacity. Currently (2016-2018), FairFishing is implementing an EU funded program “Income, livelihood and nutrition through a fishery-based economy along the Horn of Africa”, and from 2018 and on, activities will focus more on linking supply with demand by developing the whole value chain from sea to market and consumer.
FairFishing’s HQ and secretariat consist of three people based in Copenhagen. The secretariat works closely with local colleagues in an office Berbera, Somaliland, and a smaller unit in Bosaso, Puntland. We are looking for a full-time intern who can assist in the daily work and coordination of the projects along the Horn of Africa for the autumn 2018. FairFishing can offer a very dynamic and cooperative working atmosphere in an open and welcoming office that we share with three other smaller firms. The internship is not paid, but we offer flexible working hours and free lunch.
The internship position in the FairFishing secretariat will require you to support in performing the daily work, and work with a wide range of tasks, mainly:
- Support the coordination and production of reports and documentation to the EU and other donors.
- Responsible to monitor, analyse and communicate results from our local fishery stations.
- Participate in strategic development, planning- and monitoring of activities and project implementation.
- Participate in visibility and communication: social media, webpage, presentations etc.
- Solving any unexpected challenge a colleague in Copenhagen, Berbera or Bosaso might have.
- Participate in FairFishing membership relations and potential fundraising activities.
FairFishing is looking for someone who can stay calm, navigate and work disciplined in a very dynamic project where the unexpected is the everyday environment. We expect of candidates:
- Currently enrolled in a master program of relevant field, such as Global Development, Global Nutrition, Political Science, Communication or other social sciences.
- Strong interest in making a positive change in the world,
- Experience with work at the Horn of Africa or other areas in the Global South,
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities,
- Excellent spoken and written English (Scandinavian language is an advantage),
Moreover, we highly value if you have
- Great excel skills and visual presentation abilities,
- Experience and/or knowledge from more technical background or interest,
- Experience and/or knowledge within any of the following fields from a development perspective: small- scale fisheries; business management and organisation; market development and marketing; nutrition.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short application stating how you can contribute to the work in FairFishing, latest the 6th of July to email@example.com. We will evaluate and hold interviews during the process. The internship is planned to start from beginning August/September 2018 and last until January 2019.
For any inquires, don’t hesitate to contact Malin Schmiedel (firstname.lastname@example.org, +45 4246 2072)
Read more about FairFishing and the current EU funded program:
www.fairfishing.org – www.facebook.com/fairfishing.org